Entries are now open on the Devizes to Westminster Race website so get yourself signed up!
A few things you’ll need if you’re new the entry process:
- Your British Canoeing Union (BCU) membership number – join up here if you’re not a member already. It’s basically your license to paddle on the waterways.
- Name and contact details of your Chief Supporter – if you haven’t confirmed your support team yet, then you’ll need to do this pronto. The chief supporter is in charge as race control will contact them if they need to get a message to you during the race.
- Evidence that you are competent to take part, and therefore:
- Have completed DW within the past 5 years, or….
- Are currently ranked in Marathon Divisions 1 – 5, or….
- Are currently ranked in Marathon Divisions 6 – 9 AND have completed a marathon race greater than 20 mile, or….
- GPS proof that you have paddled in excess of 30 miles on similar water to DW (canal and open moving water), within 8 ½ hours.
We entered using the last option for 2018 and sent them a link to a Strava-tracked training run of 32 miles on the Thames including the Tideway. The tideway was useful practice but also made the journey much quicker as it pushes you along at quite a pace!
Once you’ve filled in the entry form online, they will email the lead paddler a competency matrix to fill in. This checks that you have enough experience to take part in the race. Once the matrix is verified then you can pay DW your entry fee.
Now there’s only 125 miles between you and Westminster Bridge!